Wednesday, August 15, 2012

四: Of Typhoons, storms and flood. 2012年8月6日

Last August 6, 2012, Philippines was struck by typhoon Haikui.

I was at home that day when the heavy rain started to pour. The next day, August 7, 2012 the flood was waist deep outside our house but it did not get inside our house. I consider us lucky this time because it was nothing like what happened years ago.

Three years ago, September 2009, The Philippines was also devastated by typhoon Ondoy. Hundreds of people died because of the flash flood which happened very early in the morning when people were still sleeping.

I can still remember what happened that time at our house. It was around afternoon when the rain started pouring really hard and the wind was really strong. It only took two hours and there was flood in our house. Another two hours passed and the water was knee deep inside our house. My family brought everything that can still be saved upstairs like television, computers, clothes, important documents etc. We also brought our two dogs and two cats upstairs. My mom cannot be called a girl scout since she never has an emergency kit. We did not have any candle, matches and she did not even buy food for us to eat. Good thing I baked banana chocolate chip bread the day before and that is what we ate until the next day. The night after the flood got into our house was totally dark. There was no light everywhere and you can hear water splashing due to furnishings crashing into the water and people swimming to safety. I would describe like it was a scene from the movie Titanic when the boat was already sinking.

I actually did not mind what happened since I know I will survive for a few days but what I cannot stand was that my mother kept on yakking inside my room about the dirt and to think that she should be thinking about how irresponsible she was when she did not even think of buying food for her family when she knows we will be needing it. Needless to say, she still did not learn from that and it was the same thing that happened to us during typhoon Haikui and again lucky for them I stocked up on food which they eventually ate during the flood.

During typhoon Ondoy, I actually had my ex boyfriend save me from my unfortunate situation and he brought me at his grandmother's house to stay for a few days because there they had electricity and food. This time, I never had to depend on anyone because luckily, we did not get affected much though we did not have electricity for a couple of days and I was not able to go to work for two days because all the roads going to our office are not passable due to flood.

Just today, there is another typhoon in our country called Helen and fortunately for us living in the Metro, we aren't that affected much but those up in the northern part of the country are again experiencing floods and strong winds. I hope everyone is safe there...

So this post is getting a bit too long and I might stray too far from my title and since typhoons will never stop passing by our country, (since we are located at the middle of the ocean and we are a tropical country) I do believe there is something we can do to prevent disasters from happening and just to give you guys a hint on where this will lead to, I believe that the major issue here is the never ending issue of... waste or garbage management. ^_^

I will leave you guys with the saying...
Save the earth, save not just yourself but everyone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Flickr