Saturday, February 16, 2013

四十八:Sweet Baum Cafe's Baumkuchen


I got to learn about Baumkuchen through an anime entitled Yumeiro Patissiere. There was this one episode where they baked the pastry and they called it baumukuhen. The pastry is cooked by using a rotisserie and as the rod spins, the patissiere pours a batter evenly and waits for it to cook before he will pour another layer. It takes about 15 to 20 layers and once cut, it resembles the rings of a tree which explains its name.


I never thought I would actually find a store that sells baumkuchen in the Philippines but lo and behold as I was strolling along Eastwood City, I saw this cafe and I first thought that the "Baum" was for bum or buttocks. LOL! 


They were giving free taste of their baumkuchen. My friend and I tried a piece and it tasted like sponge cake. One small ring about the size of a saucer is 65Php and the bigger one as big as a plate is around 300Php.


I also noticed that they were selling cream cheese cake. The colors were nice. They have 3 flavors for the cakes, plain, green tea and chocolate. The baumkuchen have 4 flavors: green tea, chocolate, cream cheese and plain.

Plain, Green tea and Chocolate Cream Cheese cake.
If you buy 5 small baumkuchen slices you only pay 300Php and you can choose any flavor you want and for the Cream Cheese Cake you only pay 215Php for five small cakes.


The flavors of the baumkuchen were very mild maybe so it won't overpower the natural sweetness of the pastry. Their chocolate had a mild cocoa taste and I did not taste any cream cheese with the cream cheese flavored baumkuchen thought the two tasted nice. 


I then tried their cream cheese cakes. The cakes looked cute especially because of its pastel colors. I tried the plain one first and it was very light. It had sponge cake for the base and the cream cheese cake on top. I actually thought it was cream cheese all the way.


Unlike other cheesecakes, their cream cheese cake is fluffly, lots of air so it's soft and not dense. The flavor is very mild, a little tangy and sweet.


The chocolate flavor has the same taste as the chocolate baumkuchen. It has a mild cocoa taste. The base is also chocolate flavored spongecake.


Lastly I tasted the green tea flavor. It had plain sponge cake at the bottom and matcha flavored cream cheese cake on top. Again the flavor was really mild and it was not bitter as I expected.


I was told by the sales lady that their baumkuchen can last for up to 45 days without refrigeration and the cakes can last up to two weeks in the fridge.

I was not hooked with their pastries but at least now I know what a baukuchen tastes like. ^_^

Sweet Baum Cafe serves unique pastries that are worth a try. They are located in Eastwood City's Technoplaza just outside Robinson's Supermarket near the pathway going to Eastwood Mall.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Flickr